- Books in Good, Good +, Very Good, Very Good + and in very rare cases Fine condition. Occasionally fair books are considered provided that the book is complete.
- Books whose spine has split (not due to fragility), tears along spine, edges, interior page tears.
- Books with chips missing such is common along margins.
- Books with small pieces missing at top and bottom of spine and corners.
- Books with tape (not excessive).
- Books that are dirty from dust, grime or markings.
- Books with a spine roll that require staple removal and original staple reassembly.
- Brittle or fragile books. Books that have significant browning of pages and are crumbling to the touch.
- Large pieces missing (sections of artwork) either on front and back covers or interior pages.
- Previously touched up or heavily restored books.
- Books with significant tapes such as magic tape, scotch or masking tape that have left brown stains.
- Covers that have faded or discolored beyond recognition.